Basic Butter Cake
125g reduced salt butter
¼+¼+⅛ cup of caster sugar
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 tsp vanilla essence
2 cups self-rising flour
½ cup low fat milk
- Preheat oven @ 180°C. Brush a deep, 20cm round cake tin w melted butter or oil, line base & side w grease paper.
- Beat butter & sugar in a small mixing bowl using an electric beater until light & creamy.
- Add the eggs gradually, beating thoroughly after each addition. Add essence; beat until combined.
- Shift the flour into the batter, alternately w the milk. Stir until just combined & the mixture is almost smooth.
- Spoon mixture into the prepared tin; smooth surface. Bake for 45mins or until skewer comes out clean when inserted in center of cake. Cool the cake on the wire rack for 10mins before turning.
- I set the temperature at abt 170°C for fearing of burnt cake again.
- ¾ of the baking time, I placed a foil on top of the cake…again, for the same reason of the above
- I reduced the sugar from ¾cup to ¼+¼+⅛ cup to reduce the sweetness..
Ref:No author (1996). Cakes- step by step. Singapore: Periplus